Thursday, January 13, 2011

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU

As I was checking out of Whole Foods a few days ago I picked up a book called Nutritarian Handbook by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  It intrigued me as it actually scored and ranked most of the food we eat based on its nutritional value. Each food was given an Andi score which stands for Aggregrate Nutrient Density Index .





This list is an example Andi scores.






Three months ago almost everything I ate was listed in the orange row.  As you can see the Andi scores were so very low.  It's no wonder I had little energy.  I challenge you to REALLY think about the nutritional value of the foods you are eating.  Are you depriving yourself of the nutrients that will help keep you disease free and improve your quality of life?  I know I sure was.  I had to change.  If you find yourself in the same position, I dare you to do something about it.  Start now.  It's not that hard.  In fact, comment on this blog and I'll check in on you.  We'll encourage each other!

Dr. Fuhrman has his own version of the food pyramid and having followed this (without knowing it) for the past 3 months I am a big believer in it!  So I dare you, no I double dog dare you, to shake up your routine and try this new food pyramid for a month.  I say a month as it takes a few weeks to detox and start to feel better.  It may just change your life. 

Here are the basic rules:





Eat a large salad every day.  Eat a half cup of beans or legumes once a day.  Eat at least 3 servings of fresh fruit daily.  Eat at least one ounce of raw nuts and seeds a day.  Eat at least one double serving of a steamed green vegetable daily.

Oh, there is one more part to this dare.  Don't let it scare you.  It's only 30 days.  NO BBQ, processed meats, or commercial red meat.  NO fried food.  NO full fat dairy products or trans fats.  NO soft drinks, sugar, or artificial sweeteners.  NO white flour products.


This challenge is for a healthy person.  If you are currently suffering from any illness/disease the book details plans for you.  I would highly suggest purchasing the book and at least giving it a try.  Here is a link to Eat Right America's online store.  http://www.eatrightamerica.com/store

FYI: I am not getting any monetary benefits from book endorsements.  I will let you know if it ever changes.  Right now, I just get the satisfaction of passing information along to my friends.  






Here is a list of the 30 top super foods.  Good luck!    

SUPER FOODS: 
Please see website for a complete list of Andi scores for the super food list.





http://www.eatrightamerica.com/andi-superfoods


1.  Collard greens, Mustard greens, Turnip greens
2.  Kale
3.  Watercrest
4.  Bok Choy
5.  Spinach
6.  Broccoli Rabe
7.  Chinese/Napa Cabbage
8.  Brussels Sprouts
9.  Swiss Chard
10. Arugula
11. Cabbage
12. Romaine Lettuce
13. Broccoli
14. Red Pepper
15. Carrot Juice
16. Tomatoes and Tomato Products
17. Cauliflower
18. Strawberries
19. Pomegranate Juice
20. Blackberries
21. Plums
22. Raspberries
23. Blueberries
24. Oranges
25. Cantaloupe
26. Beans (all varieties)
27. Seeds: Flaxseed, Sunflower, Sesame
28. Pistachio Nuts
29. Tofu
30. Walnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment