Monday, January 10, 2011

"Let Them Eat Cake!"


Oh, if Marie Antoinette could have tasted this cake, she may not have made the above statement.  She may have said, "Let them eat cookies!"  My guess would be she would want to save this cake for herself.  I sure did.

I have read about Marie Antoinette and I am no Marie Antoinette.  And I definitely don't live in a castle although I am hoping to someday!  I did feel quite regal when I bit into the chocolate cake with fudge icing from the cookbook, Raw for Dessert, by Jennifer Cornbleet.  It was truly fit for a king or in this case a queen. 



It was almost too good to believe.  The true test came when my royal subjects tasted the decadent cake.  Would they feel like prince or pauper?

Definitely prince!!  His majesty, my husband, after taking his first bite said, "This cake taste like it came from an expensive restaurant."  The two little princesses agreed.  The youngest princess will ALWAYS pass when offered cake and will take a bite or two of a cookie before she's done and hands it back.  She is great at listening to her body.  The girl ate every morsel on her plate and cheered about how "nummy" it was.  The oldest princess laid claim to another piece for the next day and pleaded with her daddy not to eat it all!  That's kind of sad.  She also wanted to leave a note on the cake and label it as hers just to remind him not to dig in after she was fast asleep.  She was anticipating her next encounter with this cake.

My favorite part about this exquisite cake is that it is healthy!  HEALTHY?!?!?!??!  How can cake, delicious and healthy all go together?  Well just ask Jennifer Cornbleet because she managed to create this masterpiece.  I give this cookbook a huge thumbs up and suggest that every momma who wants to feed her family nourishing food own this cookbook.  I am so excited to try all of her recipes.

This recipe was extremely easy to prepare.  The littlest princess was occupied for about 30 minutes just stirring the fudge icing.  My first thought was "what temperature do I need to preheat the oven."  Then I remembered it is a raw recipe.  No cooking.  Did you catch that?  NO COOKING, SUPER EASY TO PREPARE AND HEALTHY!

Chocolate Cake with fudge frosting Recipe:

Ingredients:
3 cups raw walnuts (unsoaked)
1/8 tsp salt
16 pitted medjool dates
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp filtered water
1/3 cup Chocolate Ganache (see below recipe)

Place walnuts and salt in food processor fitted with S blade.  I used the Vitamix.  Process until finely ground.  Add dates.  Process until mixture begins to stick together.  Add cocoa powder and vanilla extract and process until powder is incorporated.  Add water and process briefly.

Line 6 inch cake pan with parchment paper.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan and press down with your hand to compact.  To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake.  Place a serving plate upside down on top of the cake pan.  Invert, then lift the pan off.  Remove parchment paper.

Chocolate Ganache (fudge frosting) Recipe:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dark agave syrup or maple syrup
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
1/8 tsp plus a pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.


This child stirred the fudge icing for about 30 minutes.  She was just fascinated with it.


The littlest princess, 2 of 3, the picky eater, was just giddy with delight!  She thought it was birthday      cake and asked us to "pease" sing to her.  So we did, 3 times.  She was thrilled!


Some one actually licked their plate clean.  We'll just leave it at that.

7 comments:

  1. Carly, It was out of this world. I was a bit cautious about trying it as the ingredients were so different. Amazing. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eschelle,

    We are sold! If you try it I'd love to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious! And your little princess looks like she enjoyed herself. Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I'm your newest follower!

    -DP
    Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newest follower- Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing this.

    Clay

    http://www.tantrumstroublesandtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Clayton! I am going to check out your blog now!!!

    ReplyDelete