Monday, January 17, 2011

SWEEEEEET!!


If you have read my blog Double Dog Dare, then you know that I am on a mission to cut out refined sugar from our family's diet.  I am also trying to add vegetables into our diet in any way possible.  Saturday after posting a blog post on facebook about hiding spinach in pizza sauce, I got a few comments from friends about sweet potato pancakes/waffles.  Who knew?  Well, apparently they did, but I had never heard of such.  So when 1 of 3 asked for pancakes yesterday morning I was happy to oblige.  I pulled out all of my cookbooks and searched for a recipe.  I found a recipe in Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious.  It called for using pancake box batter.  I had some left over from my previous life so I pulled the box down.  I read the ingredients and SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR!  No thanks, Jessica.  I can do bad all by myself.  I really don't need your cookbook to tell me how.

Next, I resorted to the web.  And lo and behold, I found a delightful recipe.  Being a Louisiana girl, I was inclined to try the Louisiana Sweet Potato Pancakes just for the name!  I made a few modifications to the below recipe.  I used applesauce instead of butter.  If you're curious as to why, well I didn't have enough butter!  It was good so I'll probably do it again.  I also modified 3 of 3's batter and used Vanilla Soy milk.  I tasted both pancakes and detected no difference.  So next time we'll all eat the pancakes with Vanilla Soy milk.

The sweet potato pancakes were topped with pecans and maple syrup.  Walnuts would also be a great topping.  And it's on the super foods list!  We have home made walnut butter we use a lot so we went with pecans.  Our Sunday morning breakfast was fantastic!

Louisiana Sweet Potato Pancakes


Ingredients

  • 3/4 pound sweet potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

  1. Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water, and cook until tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and immediately immerse in cold water to loosen skins. Drain, remove skins, chop, and mash.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk and butter in a separate medium bowl. Blend sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter.
  3. Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter mixture onto the prepared griddle by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook until golden brown, turning once with a spatula when the surface begins to bubble.

2 comments:

  1. Getting Super Powers through food! What goes in, is what is going to come out. I love it! My youngest (6) wants to be a chef. I notice he will try new things if he participated in its cooking/preparing. Got a few recipes for him to try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!! I would suggest making a yummy cake with him. If you read the post let them eat cake you'll get a great healthy recipe that is fabulous! And it is made from walnuts which is on the top 30 super foods! We also make pizza. I add baby spinach to the sauce and blend it together for a few seconds. The kids love it. I'll be posting more meals my kids help me make soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete