Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Seventh Generation Cleaning Products


Seventh Generation Free and Clear laundry detergent has been washing our clothes for about 2 weeks now.  The switch was really out of necessity at first.  Our high efficiency washing machine had an odor.  We couldn't take it any more and began to research what in the world it could be.  We discovered that the liquid laundry detergent was the problem.  Who knew?  Then we began the search for another free and clear product in powder form.  This was one of 2 options.  I was a bit hesitant about a natural product.  How good could they clean?  And really if it was so good why weren't all products natural?  Well after 2 weeks of testing I can report to you that we are extrememly satisfied with the detergent.  And that horrid smell is GONE!  This product is hypo-allergenic and biodegradable.  The company states they list all of their ingredients.  It makes me wonder if that is a rarity in cleaning products.   


With one success behind me I felt a bit braver to try other green products.  In fact I have begun the process of transitioning all of our cleaning supplies to green products.  The next product we tested was the dishwashing detergent.  I remember hearing something years ago on the news about the dishwasher producing the most toxic fumes in a home.  They recommended washing the dishes at night while everyone was asleep as to not inhale the fumes.  I began to do this.  Then just recently I wondered why in the world I would want to use a dishwashing detergent with dried chlorine and have the chlorine fumes in my house day or night.  I have found Seventh Generation to do a great job in cleaning the dishes.  Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid is free of phosphate and clorine and is non toxic.  Again I have to wonder why any company would produce a toxic product when there is a non toxic solution that performs just as well.


The last Seventh Generation product that I have tried so far is a disinfecting wipe.  The wipe uses a thymol (from thyme oil) natural botanical.  The site states it kills 99.99% of all household germs.  I could only use this product in the bathrooms as I have granite countertops.  It stated that is was safe for all non porous surfaces.   It did a great job cleaning but left the room with an unpleasant smell similar to moth balls.  It was obvious to all the people in this house that something stink, stank, stunk.  I'm not sure if we are just so used to a strong chlorine/bleach smell that something other than that is offensive.  I will use up the rest of the wipes and reevaluate then.  If we still find the smell to be repulsive we'll look for other alternatives.  Overall, I have been very pleased with the non toxic products Seventh Generation offers.  I am very glad to have removed yet another potential hazard from our home.

Here is a link to sign up for Seventh Generation coupons and links to all the products mentioned above.  Happy and healthy cleaning!
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/coupons
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Free-and-Clear/Laundry-Detergent
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Dishwasher-Gel
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Disinfecting-Wipes

2 comments:

  1. New follower from Bloggy Moms. I am horrible at with using cleaning products. I am as far from Green as you could get. I often think I should switch my husband would love it. I am going to give these a try, thanks!

    Megan

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, Thanks so much for following my blog. I was as far from green too a few weeks ago! So far we've been really impressed. If you try some green products, I'd love to know how they work for you!

    ReplyDelete