Monday, December 27, 2010

My Kids LOVE PBJ And ABJ


With 2 little ladies in the house that love PBJ, we needed to learn to make peanut and almond butter.  The fabulous Vitamix has come in so handy.  First we tried the Almond butter recipe in the Vitamix recipe book but it came out too runny.  Today, we perfected Almond Butter.  The photo above is the yummy almond butter on Organic Sprouted Bread.  FYI: Drizzled honey on top of the almond butter bread is out of this world!

Almond Butter:
3 cups Roasted Almonds
2 or 3 Tablespoons Almond Oil 
We like our almond butter chunky so if you try this you may need to add more almond oil.

I made Peanut Butter the other day too.  The recipe just called for peanuts.  The consistency was much drier and different than store bought peanut butter.  Next time I'm going to add a dash of almond butter.  Dr. Oz recommends buying organic peanuts/ peanut butter as non organic peanuts have high levels of pesticides.

We are going to experient between using raw and roasted nuts soon.  I'll keep you posted.


As far as bread is concerned I have been buying organic sprouted bread.  It is not my favorite but it works.  Central Market has a store brand we get that is located in the freezer section.  Men's Health wrote an article about the top 20 organic products.  The article recommended a bread by Bread Alone Bakery Organic Whole Grain Health Loaf as their top bread choice.  This product is widely available in New York.  For the rest of us I guess if we want to try the bread pictured above it's the website.  Looks so good I just may have to order some to try.  http://www.breadalone.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20 

During the winter when fresh blueberries are very expensive, I always try to offer blueberry fruit spread to the kiddos.  Blueberries are such a wonderful super food filled with antioxidants, phytoflavinoids, and high levels of Vitamin C and Potassium.  I try to chose fruit spreads over jelly or jam as they are sweetened with concentrated fruit juice instead of sugar.  We have found a fruit spread that is a big hit with the little folks, all 3 of them.  Crofter's Just Fruit Spread Organic Wild Blueberry.  http://www.croftersorganic.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=241  The ingredients are concentrated organic grape juice, organic wild blueberries, apple pectin, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid.  Until I have the chance to learn to make fruit spreads myself I feel comfortable offering this to my little people.  They always lap it up and there is NO SUGAR!  Win/win for mommy and kiddos.

Going to serve this little meal up for lunch.  Have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment