Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Preliminary Report Card

I thought today would be a good day to update on how this change is affecting our lives.  Since we started this journey 2 weeks ago my husband has lost 8 pounds and I have lost 5 1/2 pounds.  I have had so much more energy and have not been having the afternoon sleepies!  Woooo Hoooo!  There is an exception to the last statement and that was when I was eating the brown rice cocoa cereal like it was going out of style.  I am sleeping much deeper at night and waking up feeling rested.  This momma has had little sleep for the past 3 years so I've still got a ways to go.  I think my chidren would say that I am much more fun to be around and more energetic.  Again, I still have a long way before I am completely myself but this diet change has taken me a long way in a short time.  For this I am thankful.

I really have not craved sweets like I used to crave them.  In fact I have only had 2 pieces of 1 of 3's Halloween candy.  That is saying something as in the past I have raided that plastic pumpkin as soon as it arrived home and 1 of 3 was sleeping.  Ha ha.   

I have also found that I am actually spending less on food even though the organic food is more expensive.  Processed foods from the grocery store are very expensive too so when we cut them out it has proven cheaper.  In fact, we have spent $200 on groceries for the entire week.  I tell you that has not always been the case.  We waste very little food and are very selective about what we buy.  I buy just what I need for the week.  That is also another change.  I used to buy huge amounts of food at the grocery store so I could prevent another shopping trip.  Then I would forget to use some of it or it was just too much and food went to waste. 

We are trying to eat at least 51% of our diet organic, raw vegetable and fruits.  That means most snacks are pieces of fruit and at least one meal a day is a big salad.  This salad is not skimpy either.  I put blue cheese crumbles and eat dressing.  It is actually why I was a bit surprised that I had lost so much weight already.  My point is we are eating yummy food, not starving ourselves, and losing weight and feeling better.  It takes planning and preperation but is worth the work.  Even with the 3 small children I have found it manageable.  So far, so good...okay, great!

No comments:

Post a Comment