"Health Benefits of Bison
- Grass-fed Bison provides nutrient dense, low fat, low cholesterol meat with as many Omega-3s per serving as salmon, and three to six times the amount of omega-3s as grain fed animals.
- It contains the highest-know levels of the fat-blocker and anti-carcinogen, CLA (conjugated linolaic acid). Research on CLA is showing evidence that CLA has the potential to reduce the risk of cancer, obesity, diabetes, and a number of immune disorders.
- It also has high concentrations of selenium, a natural trace element that acts as a mood elevator. The original "happy meal". In research conducted by Dr. Martin Marchello at the Carrington Research Extension Center, grass fed Bison was determined to contain as much as four times more selenium than grain fed Bison.
- Bison fits the dietary recommendations of the American Heart and American Diabetes associations.
- Grass-fed Bison contains four times the amount of vitamin E found in grain fed beef. It is also a rich source of the vitamin beta-carotene, a vital antioxidant which reduces the risk of cancer by preventing cell degeneration."
Here is the recipe we got from the farmers' market. Enjoy!!
HIGH COUNTRY BISON RECIPE
Mexican Beer Braised Bison Roast with Onions
4 lbs. bison chuck roasr
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Ibs onions, thinly sliced
3 large garlic cloves
2 tsp. mexican oregano
2 tsp. cumin
2 bay leaves
1 chipotle pepper
12 oz mexican beer (Negro Modelo, Bohemia)
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pat roast dry and rub with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Heat oil in oven proof, 5 quart, heavy pot over medium high heat until hot. Brown meat
on all sides. Transfer to plate.
Add onions to pot and saute, stirring until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic,
oregano, cumin, chipotle pepper, remaining salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 2
minutes. Deglaze mixture with beer and water, add bay leaves. Bring to a boil, return
meat to pot and cover.
Braise in oven until tender - approximately 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Let stand uncovered in
onion sauce about 30 minutes. Remove meat and shred returning to onion mixture.