Monday, September 26, 2011

Bippity, Boppity, Boo

I feel as if someone waved a magic wand over my house and said these magic words, "Bippity Boppity Boo!" and just like that relief washed over my kids like a wave.  

As most of you know that my youngest son, 3 of 3, broke out in hives from the day he was introduced to solid food.  This happened almost every time he ate.  As more foods were introduced, more hives appeared.  He also had almost constant ear infections for 6 months.  

I was tired, stressed and in need of answers.  Monthly trips to the doctor are NOT my idea of fun.  I couldn't find any answers other than antibiotics.   And really they weren't working either.   

Out of desperation I removed dairy from 3 of 3's diet and NO more ear infections.  Cured completely with the removal of dairy.  Hey THAT is the kind of help I needed.   And it started changing my thinking.

I turned to a natural doctor for help with the hives.  I knew it was caused by something he was eating.  It seemed EVERYTHING he was eating.  

We started with a simple blood test.  Come to find out my littlest person had a mild gluten allergy.  That was the only allergen that showed up in the blood test results.  And the gluten allergy was so mild it wouldn't even have been considered an allergy by conventional doctors. 

Thinking back, one of the first foods I introduced was oatmeal cereal with dairy based formula.  Gluten and dairy.  And at some point every day he had some form of gluten. Had I found the answer, could it be? 

Now 3 of 3's diet is free of dairy and gluten.  Just think of how many foods in your daily diet contain some form of these ingredients.  Challenging diet but doable.

The hives continued sporadically and my little person seemed much better but still not quite himself.

I took the rest of the family in to get the blood test done.  Again, no major allergies for any of us.  I did find a common mild allergy between a few family members and decided to experiment and take this out of 3 of 3's diet too.

It worked!  No more hives and a REALLY smiling, happy, playful child.  

The culprit...eggs.

So the egg free, dairy free, gluten free diet is the diet of this house.  And it's actually been quite easy to achieve.  I can't wait to share the fabulous finds that we have found so far.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! There is not much left to eat at your house! Glad to hear that you are all adjusting well to all the changes. Heck. Maybe we should all be vegan.

    ReplyDelete