Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Glitter Of Super Food!!

Quinoa is an awesome super food!  It is a nutritious grain that is also a complete protein as it has all 8 of the essential amino acids.  Quinoa is high in fiber, calcium, and is a good source of iron.  It has a slightly nutty flavor and has a bit of a crunchy texture.

I buy Bob's Red Mill Organic Quinoa and it is pre rinsed.  If the package does not say it is pre rinsed be sure to rinse it to remove the bitter saponin coating.  After rinsing, sauté quinoa or cook it with 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

For the past few days we have been eating whole grain quinoa for breakfast with honey.  It is not the best breakfast I have ever eaten, but it is filling.  Another idea I read was to mix cooked quinoa with milk, maple syrup, dried fruit, and nuts for a healthy, satisfying porridge.  I'm going to try that tomorrow morning!

Quinoa is so versatile that it can be eaten at any meal.  For lunch try quinoa tossed with roasted vegetables, fresh herbs, oil, and balsamic vinegar for a salad that’s both filling and protein-packed.

And let's not forget dessert.  Try this quinoa pudding recipe and top it with dried fruit and sliced almonds.

I have to tell you though, quinoa is the glitter of food.  When 3 of 3 eats it, he sometimes puts it down his shirt, as he does most foods, and it is almost impossible to clean up without a bath.  Little, super tiny, round pieces of quinoa are stuck in his belly button, between his toes, down his diaper, and sprinkled throughout his hair.  It is a mess.

It's a good thing that whole grain quinoa is super nutritious or else it would be banned from our house!


My family and I really love to eat quinoa pasta.  It has completely replaced wheat pasta at our house, and I just bought quinoa flour.  After I experiment for a bit, I'll post the recipe I use with the quinoa flour.  I am always looking to change up my grains!

Please feel free to post any quinoa recipes you have tried and enjoyed.  I am interested in growing my quinoa horizons!

1 comment:

  1. That's good stuff! I used to eat a lot of it when I was a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete